With three kinds of cheese, you won't miss the meat in this Italian fave - or realize that you're getting leafy greens and whole grains in all that gooey goodness.
- 1 12 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 10 ounces whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place tomatoes, water, and spinach in a medium pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and cook at least 30 minutes (the longer it cooks, the better it tastes). While sauce is cooking, cook noodles according to packed directions.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add garlic, onion, and zucchini, and saute for 5 minutes until softened. Add vegetables to ricotta cheese and stir to combine.
- In a 9-by-13-inch pan, add one ladle sauce. Add one layer of noodles and half the ricotta mixture. Add two ladles of sauce, a layer of noodles, remaining ricotta, and additional sauce. Top with last layer of noodles, remaining sauce, and mozzarella. Cover dish with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Recipe provided by Jamie & Kristen of IDontGototheGym.com
Per serving: 294 kcal cal., 10 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 23 g carb., 7 g fiber, 17 g pro., 302 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet