Veggie Chow Mein
Forget takeout and its absurd amounts of sodium. When you're itching for Chinese, this dish is ready before delivery would come and it's made with only natural ingredients.
- 8 ounces soft lo mein noodles (or spaghetti or fettuccine)
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cook noodles according to package directions until tender. Drain well.
- Heat sesame oil in a non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add scallions, garlic, and ginger, and stir-fry 1 minute until tender-crisp. Add celery, peppers, and mushrooms, and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in noodles and cook about 1 minute until lightly crisp. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Stir into skillet mixture and cook for 1 minute until thickened.
- Recipe provided by MeatlessMonday
Per serving: 344 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 190 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 12 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet