These 4-Ingredient, No-Bake Nut Bars from Trader Joe's Taste Just Like a Peanut Butter Cup
It's about to become your new favorite treat, bar none.
This story originally appeared on EatingWell.com by Karla Walsh.
I don't know about you all, but when trick-or-treat time rolled around and a neighbor dropped a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup into my little plastic pumpkin, I was one happy little clown. (Or, depending on the year, drum major, Woodstock attendee or tube of toothpaste — thanks for the years of teasing about the latter one, Mom. 😉)
Ahem, back to the point: I've been a lifelong fan of all things chocolate and peanut butter, and if you, too, can't get enough of that classic, salty-sweet dessert combo, then you'll adore this new Trader Joe's product. (These homemade chocolate peanut butter fudge pops are the best nostalgic dessert upgrade.)
The $3.49 No-Bake Peanut Butter Bar Mix can be found in the baking aisle next to the pancake mixes, brownie mixes, and other baking staples. Made with rolled oats, almond meal, crispy rice, and oat bran, the bar cookie mix is gluten-free and ready to enjoy after mixing it with 1 cup of your favorite nut butter and ½ cup of a liquid sweetener (like honey, maple syrup or agave nectar). Freeze until firm, slice, and devour. (Related: You Can Make These Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Just 5 Ingredients)
The crew members at Trader Joe's kicked things off by sharing the four-ingredient, no-bake dessert recipe below. I'm excited to try it, especially since it calls for zero bake time so I don't need to heat up the kitchen during the steamy final days of summer. Then after I try the OG version, I have some other riffs in mind to enjoy this easy, affordable mix around the clock. Who's with me?
- Weekday breakfast: Follow the recipe below, trading fresh or frozen blueberries for the chocolate chips and swapping almond for peanut butter.
- Weekend brunch: Follow the recipe below, omitting the chocolate chips and topping each square with sliced bananas and bourbon sauce.
- Snack: Follow the recipe below, trading honey for syrup and chopped pecans for the chocolate chips.
- Dessert: Follow the recipe below, serving each square warmed in the microwave, topped with a scoop of ice cream, and a drizzle of melted nut butter.
Trader Joe's No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- 1 cup nut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 box TJ's No-Bake Nut Butter Bar Mix
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan (Buy It, $15, amazon.com) with parchment paper or foil, letting some extend over the edges of the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine peanut butter and maple syrup. Add mix and stir until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press mixture evenly into the lined pan. Freeze 20 minutes, or until firm. Remove pan from freezer and lift bar from pan in one piece onto a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares and serve.
- Store uneaten bars in an airtight container (like one of these OXO Good Grips Smart Seal Glass Containers, $24 for 12, amazon.com) in the refrigerator.