Giving your metabolism a little jump-start is not a difficult task — or even a big commitment! Take for instance, adding any of these six foods to your day. It's such a simple way to get the body going.
- Hot peppers: The compound capsaicin that gives chili peppers their kick has long been connected with boosting metabolism and curbing cravings.
- Whole grains: Whole grains offer loads of dietary fiber and complex carbs that help speed up your metabolism. Just make sure to reach for real whole grains; don't be blinded by pretty multigrain packages.
- Coffee: Caffeine "naturally" stimulates your central nervous system; your daily cup of coffee can boost metabolism by five to eight percent.
- Vinegar: Vinegar has a ton of health properties including the ability to burn fat. Studies indicate that it's the acid in vinegar that signals genes in the body to break down fat. It's especially useful to enjoy vinegar after you eat refined carbs, since it manages your blood-sugar levels from rising too quickly.
- Citrus: Chowing down on citrus favorites burn fat and keep your metabolism in check. The next time you need a snack, grab a grapefruit or orange to keep insulin levels at bay.
- Spices: Spices are one of the easiest foods to incorporate to keep your metabolic rate high! The most pungent spices like turmeric and cinnamon do the best job at kicking up your body's temperature, speeding up your body's fat burning process.
More From FitSugar:
3 Signs You're Dehydrated During a Workout
Most Common Sleep Mistakes and Their Solutions
Victoria's Secret Ange Candice Swanepoel on Staying in Bikini Shape
4 Olympic Hairstyles For Your Intense Workouts