You'll be shocked by the science behind weight loss and fat burn

By Sara Angle
Updated: November 02, 2017
Getty

You know how weight loss works, right? Burn more calories per day than you take in. Burn upwards of 500 calories a day and you'll lose a pound a week. Simple math. But where does that fat actually go?

If you don't know, don't feel bad: A new study in the British Medical Journal surveyed doctors and biochemistry students and found that even they weren't quite sure. Researchers also surveyed family doctors, nutritionists and personal trainers, an alarming high number of whom thought that fat was converted to energy or heat. But think back to high school chemistry: Matter can neither be created nor destroyed-so this principle wouldn't hold up, despite how easily we throw around the idea of energy in/energy out.

To illustrate how fat leaves the body, researcher Ruben Meerman traced every atom's pathway out of the body, and then developed a formula which showed that 80 percent of fat leaves the body through the lungs. So you're actually releasing most fat through carbon dioxide via your breath-the other 20 percent is released through water in the form of sweat, urine, tears, and other bodily fluids.

Turns out the fitspo trainers love to use (and apparently believe, based on this study), "Sweat is fat crying!" is only a tiny bit true. And all that heat building up in your body? It's just a byproduct of the chemical reaction. But hey, if the phrase works to inspire you, go with it!

Advertisement


Comments (7)

Anonymous
April 23, 2019
Over the years I've tried many methods recommended by both my friends and family but none of them seemed to work out for me until I chanced upon this holy grail where I've lost almost 33 pounds in just 1 month trying it out! I can now fit in dresses two sizes down and receive many compliments from not only my lovely husband, but colleagues and girlfriends about how great I look right now! I'm here to share with you guys because I really am thankful and hope someone who also needs this can experience similar results as me! Here is the link to my holy grail method! https://bit.ly/flatbelly21dayfix
Anonymous
March 29, 2019
Did you know that the female body has 9 times more Alpha (fat storing) than Beta (fat-burning) receptors? So, every time a Beta receptor tries to release fat, it has to fight 9 Alpha receptors that try to store fat back in. That's why it's so difficult to sculpt the lower body. I really struggled with my pear-shaped body, until i found a way to reduce estrogen dominance. Read my story here ==> https://bit.ly/aboutmyweightloss
Anonymous
December 13, 2018
Since I turned 40 it has been increasing harder to lose weight. I have tried every diet, watch what I ate etc., nothing worked. One day my husband came home and told me about this system, I thought why not. Three months later I lost 34 pounds and 3 sizes. Now that I’m on the maintenance part of the system I lost a total of 38 pounds and now down 4 sizes…. This system works. It really had me change my eating habits. I have learned valuable nutritional information to ensure I keep the weight off and look great. Three months later I lost 34 pounds and 3 sizes, just following this system:https://leanbellybreakthrough1.club/lose-weight-fast
Anonymous
November 27, 2018
Wanna increase muscle size, strength and performance ? i found this powerful product that is a safe, legal and side effect free i tried it myself and it realy shows good results for more info check in here -> bulkm.net
Anonymous
October 29, 2018
hey i found a rapid weight loss program that can help you lose up to 23 pounds of pure body fat in just 3 weeks!!! watch this video here -> 3weeksdiets.net
Anonymous
October 23, 2018
Did you know there’s a “deep detox” you can do first thing in the morning to burn more fat? you can burn 1.2lbs daily and It only takes 13-seconds! watch this video : flatbelydetox.net
Anonymous
August 31, 2018
hey this is an extreme rapid weight loss system that can help you lose up to 16 pounds of pure body fat in just 2 weeks! watch this video here: => https://the2weekdietnow.com