What You Should Know About the Dukan Diet Plan
With the big royal wedding a little more than a month away, media outlets and Kate Middleton fans across the world are curious about what she's doing to look picture-perfect on the big day. Although not confirmed, rumor has it that she's on the Dukan Diet, a French diet that her mom Carole has been on since November. So what is this diet and is it safe and healthy? The five must-know facts about the Dukan Diet are below!
5 Facts About the Dukan Diet
1. It's low-carb. Similar to Atkins, the Dukan Diet highly restricts carbs in four different cycles: attack, cruise, consolidation and stabilization. The first stage completely cuts out carbs, the second stage introduces non-starchy veggies, the third stage allows you to have limited fruit and bread, and the final stage is back to "normal" eating with one day per week devoted to only eating protein.
2. It's trendy. Being called "The Real Reason the French Stay Thin," this diet has reportedly been tried by Jennifer Lopez and Nicole Kidman. A U.S. version of the French diet book will be released in April.
3. It isn't new. Besides already going through the low-carb trend here in the U.S., the Dukan Diet is actually just a reformulated version of the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast, which is a high-protein, medically based diet created more than three decades ago for obese individuals.
4. It can work, but don't expect to work out well. Just like any diet plan that restricts calories, you will lose weight. But with so few carbs in the first three stages, you can say goodbye to workouts where you feel strong and energized.
5. It's a diet, not a lifestyle change. Despite the fact that the diet does include some online coaching services for support and motivation, this is just another diet. And we all know that diets typically lead to short-term results, not lasting healthy life change. Not to mention that eating nothing but turkey slices and low-fat cottage cheese is totally boring.
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.